Travel around the world this summer from the comfort of your home with this summer game: Explore the World!
Don’t limit yourself or wait for a trip to try new foods, cultures, and learn about different countries. It’s not every day adults are tasked with looking up facts on a country, well, not since school. This activity is great for everyone. It’s actually super fun and you really do learn a few new things.
Have everyone pick a country and then gather some fun facts, recipes, music, dances, you know, anything you can think of! Friends, family, and the young ones will all enjoy this.
Stop. Now, remember this activity is FUN! So, don’t worry about getting too fancy (unless you want to). You can either grab a bowl or hat and have everyone write down a few countries each on separate pieces of paper. The person holding the bowl can then choose 1 paper for each person; or 2 for each if you have a small number of people. You can choose as many as you’d like, it’s up to you.
Once you have your countries, have everyone look up the country they were given. From there, everyone can get some info and make a dish from their country.
There are endless recipes, and new things to learn from countries around the world. We’ve gone ahead and provided a sample of what you could do with a country!
- Capital: Zagreb
- Language Spoken: Croatian
- Where: Central European and Mediterranean bordered by Hungary to the north, Bosnia to the south, Slovenia to the west, and Serbia to the east. The country has a long maritime border in the Adriatic Sea with Italy.
- Currency: Kuna
- Croatians write in Latin script with the Croatian alphabet containing 30 letters.
- “Bog” is a greeting meaning both hi and bye to Croatians.
- Croatia is one of the largest producers of lavender!
Lavender Body Butter:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter
- 2 teaspoons of Honey
- 1 tablespoon Aloe Vera
- 2 tablespoons grated beeswax
- Vitamin E
- 9 drops lavender essential oil
- In a double boiler combine all the ingredients excluding Vitamin E and lavender essential oil.
- Bring to medium heat and stir until the mixture melts.
- Add lavender essential oil and a few drops of Vitamin E and stir well.
- Pour it into a glass container and let it cool completely before you cover it.
Arancini (Candied Orange Peel):
- 2 big oranges
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups sugar (divided)
- 3 cups of water
- Place pan with water on stove (water evaporates faster if the pan or pot is shallow).
- Put the oranges, sugar and vanilla extract in pan.
- When the everything in the pan begins to heat, keep adding the ingredients.
- The water will begin evaporating.
- The Arancini (orange peel) are finished when all the water evaporates, and the sugar begins crystallizing again.
- Put the orange peel on baking paper and leave it to dry for a day.
- After they dry put them in a container with the lid to prevent them from drying too much over time.
- Serve and enjoy these little treats!
There are no specific rules that need to be followed to this activity. That was just an idea above. It’s not your typical summer game, so this will be a nice surprise for everyone.